Thank you Mark Johnson for your really thoughtful interview on my film "Flood Bound" and the status of the town of Pittsfield Vermont one year after Irene.
You can listen to the interview on line - click HERE. (Please note, you'll have to skip ahead about 14 minutes to get to the Flood Bound interview.)
Telling Irene Stories: On Page and Screen
Margot Harrison of Vermont's 7Days newspaper wrote about some of the stories collected in commemoration of Irene. Here's what she said about Flood Bound. Read the rest of her article.
"Some of these books’ gripping Irene stories play out on screen in Flood Bound, a powerful hourlong documentary from Marion Abrams that screens onVermont Public Television this week. When the storm hit, the Pittsfield filmmaker was trapped along with the rest of her village, and her camera offers revealing glimpses of a community severed from the outside world. In interviews, Pittsfielders recall letting go of grudges and getting hugs from strangers as they pulled together to repair the damage and endure. Call it a reverse Lord of the Flies."
One Year Stronger: A Commemorative Gathering on the First Anniversary of Tropical Storm Irene at Chandler Music Hall
I will be at the Governors 1 year anniversary of Irene event tonight. They will pay a short clip from "Flood Bound" and I will have DVDs available.
Thanks Molly Smith for inviting me to talk about "Flood Bound" with you on Movies in the Morning. Watch the video HERE.
*On TV: Flood Bound airs on Vermont Public Television August 16th, August 20th and August 25th.
* There will be a free screening of Flood Bound in Pittsfield on August 26th at 6pm in the Pittsfield Federated Church.
* There will be a free screening of Flood Bound at the Killington Library on August 28th at 2pm AND August 29th at 7pm.
* I'll be showing the film at the Chittenden Public Library Thursday September 6th at 7pm.. This will be a good chance the thank the CVFD again!
* Would you like to schedule a screening in your community? Send me an e mail.
BUY The DVD
* In Pittsfield at the Pitt-Stop convenience store in Pittsfield Vermont.
* In Pittsfield on August 26th at the Pittsfield Town Shut Down Party. details here.
* At the Killington Library screening on August 28th at 2pm and August 29th at 7pm.
* Right here on the Food Bound web site home page.
* On August 28th at the Governors "One Year Stronger" Irene commemorative event at the Chandler in Randolph.
Your second chance to catch "Flood Bound" on Vermont Public Television. It will also air August 25th at 4pm, and we'll have a free screening right here in Pittsfield Vermont at the Federated Church August 26th at 6pm.
Here is the promo VPT is airing for the film.
We'd love to hear what you think.
- live on WCAX TV's "Movies in the Morning" with Molly Smith August 23rd
- Mark Johnson show on WDEV Friday at 10:20am
Available on line
- Vermont Public Radio story "Pittsfield Filmmaker Debuts Irene Documentary."
- Boston.com Flood Bound AP Story
- Stamford Advocate Flood Bound AP Story
- Flood Bound in VTDigger
Sunday, August, 26, 2012, 12:30-6:00 PM*
Pittsfield’s Town Shut Down potluck picnic in the Town Center.
The town of Pittsfield has something to celebrate. We are hosting Pittsfield's Town ShutDown potluck picnic in the Town Center, on August 26, 2012 from 12:30–7 PM to reconnect, reflect and celebrate the incredible community strength that united an isolated town in the wake of Tropical Storm Irene.
We encourage carpooling, walking or riding bikes to the town to as we did after Irene. If you are coming from afar look for PTSD parking on Stanley Tool Rd (Between the Fire House and the Pitts-Stop), around the town green, at the church, at the CV Oil office, in front of the cemetery and at Bikram Yoga.
The event will begin with an informational "Morning Meeting" at 12:30 at the Pittsfield Federated Church, which started most of our days early in the morning after Irene.
Throughout the day there will be...
Slideshows-pictures and videos collected people in town
Open House-sneak peak of newly renovated Town Office and library
Artistic kids activities 1:30-4:30 PM
Music by the South Royalton Band 2-3:30 PM and special appearance by the trio of Treble Makers
Food 2-4 PM-hot dogs, hamburgers, French fries, corn on the cob, grilled vegetables and potluck items as well as ice cream and cake
Athletic kids and adult activities 3:30-5:30 PM with Coach Labella
Special Guest appearances from a few heads of legislature, some including Congressman Welch to speak at 3 PM and Governor Shumlin at 4 PM to kick off dessert and present an award to our Emergency Management Coordinator, Peter Borden.
We cap of the day back in the church at 6 PM for Pittsfield's premier of "Flood Bound" created by our own Marion Abrams.
If you can't stay till the end VPT will air it on Aug 25 at 4PM
Rain or Shine.
All are welcome; please bring lawn chairs and a potluck item.
For an actual timeline email Erica at Hurdof3@hotmail.com